The last stage of making the quilt. Having taken time to think about how to actually quilt the cloth I decided on a strategy that I am happy with and that works. I have decided to use the diamond shape that dominates the old 1895 example for the quilting pattern. However the quilting it is not purposely precise or detailed. Rather I have used bold intuitive stitching in a range of muted colours. This not only works with the scale of the quilt but adds texture to the surface. I realise there could be a danger of it clashing or fighting with the sewn signatures, but I think it is the opposite and the quilting really brings the signatures together. By allowing the quilting patterns to cross into a few different names they are united and melded together.
I am over half way now so the end is in sight. I did consider a couple more sessions to work on this as a group but in the end I felt it was my own contribution to the quilt and something i would like to see through to the end.
The text panels and photos of workshops are almost sorted too, ready for the December exhibition. I am really looking forward to seeing it all together in one space.